One of the blogs that is read daily by Sugar and Bows is the Beantown Baker. We can always count on her for inspiration and creativity when it comes to baking. One of our favorite things about Jen is that the past five years she has been doing the Power of Pink Challenge. She is a huge supporter of Breast Cancer Awareness and so is Sugar & Bows. Two years ago we walked the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Boston (Go Team Pink Cupcakes!). This walk is really what kicked off the Sugar & Bows empire (Empire Ha Ha). Sooo.... guess what Beantown Baker? Challenge ACCEPTED!
After pondering what to make for a few days we said why not do something that incorporates Pink and Halloween. Pink Candy Apples! That's it! Last night we got together to make these super easy Halloween treats.
Wood Sticks (we used lollipop sticks)
1/2 cup of Corn Syrup
2 cups of Sugar
3/4 cup of Water
1. Insert the wood sticks as straight as possible into your apples.
2. Mix the corn syrup, sugar, and water in a sauce pan over medium heat. Once mixed add as much or as little food coloring as you like.
3. Attach the candy thermometer to the pan.
4. Continue to stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves. Stop stirring when the mixture comes to a boil.
5. When the mixture reaches 290 degrees simmer the flame until it reaches 310 degrees.
6. Remove the pan from the stove. When the candy reaches 300 degrees, it is now the perfect temperature to dip.
7. Dip your apples and coat with any type of topping you choose. Let dry on wax paper.
Here are some photos of us during the Avon Walk.
Day 1: The Starting Line
Day 1: Fun with Rocky at a rest stop
Day 1. "We made it to mile 20! Ahhhh"
Day 2: Only a few more to go....
Day 2: Long Line at the pit stop. Boooooo
Day 2: End of Mile 39.3. WE DID IT!!!!